Also inspired from my trip to Charleston, these yummy little biscuits are the perfect quick fix for a bite of Southern comfort, or for when you have a little extra time in the morning and feel like treating yourself. Much fancier of a breakfast than milk and cereal, but without too much extra hassle!
The best part is, you can take the basic biscuit ingredients and add pretty much whatever you want to them to create whatever biscuit suits your mood. This morning, I chose to go savory with cheddar and chive, PLUS topped ‘em off with bacon and avocado slices!
Now, where’s my sweet tea?
Cheddar and Chive Biscuits
- 1 cup flour (I used half all purpose and half whole wheat)
- 1/2 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- pinch of sugar
- 1/2 cup finely cubed cheddar
- 1 tbsp chives (I used freeze dried, but fresh would be even better!)
- 3 tbsp cold (or frozen) butter, finely cubed or grated
- 1/3 cup milk + some additional as needed
- optional: bacon, avocado slices, cracked black pepper
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees, and prepare a lightly greased baking sheet.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, cheddar cubes, and chives.
- Cut in cold butter using your fingertips (I grated in frozen butter). Work butter in with the biscuit mix quickly to avoid it warming up too much. Texture should be crumbly.
- Pour in milk and knead the dough several times with your hands. Add small amounts of milk as necessary to just bring the dough together.
- Grab a small handful of dough and stretch and fold in half 4-5 times. This helps create layers in the biscuits. Shape the sides to create round biscuits and place on baking sheet. Repeat until dough is gone.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, until golden brown on the bottom and a toothpick or fork comes out clean.
- Optional: While baking, cook bacon and slice avocado
- Serve warm, and enjoy! I sliced my biscuits in half and added bacon, a slice of avocado, and some black pepper. Yumm.